Tag Archives: Domestic Violence Hotline

Bad Romance: When a Bad Breakup Leads to Criminal Charges

Frank Walker Law

*** If you are a victim of Domestic Violence, please seek help immediately by contacting local authorities or the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 800-799-SAFE (7233). ***  

In romantic relationships, emotions run high and thinking is not always rational.  During a bad breakup, the potential for allegations of a criminal offense are particularly high. When you combine hurt feelings with a sense of being wronged and a taste of bitterness, and you mix in the arguing and fighting that may ensue, potentially illegal behavior is a highly possible outcome. After substance abuse and money, interpersonal romantic issues are one of the most common reasons behind the commission of a criminal offense.

Often times, breakup fights get physical.  One person may get slapped, bitten, punched, or shaken. One person may grab the other person in a way that leaves marks or bruises. Or threats may be made unthinkingly. If the cops are called to the scene, either one or both of the people involved may find themselves with criminal charges including harassment, assault, simple assault, aggravated assault and terroristic threats. It is a common misconception that the person reporting the crime is “pressing charges” against the other person. Instead, it is in the discretion of the office of the District Attorney’s office about whether to pursue and maintain criminal charges. Even after reconciliation, the DA’s office can and will still pursue serious criminal charges against the accused even over the protest of the alleged victim.

Sometimes even nonviolent contact can lead to criminal charges. After a breakup, the person who initiated the breakup may refuse to answer phone calls or respond to texts. The other person, unwilling to accept that the relationship has ended may call and/or text over and over again trying to get their attention, or show up repeatedly at their house or place of work. This type of conduct can result in charges of harassment or stalking.

Many times a bad breakup or fight may result in one party obtaining a protection form abuse order (PFA) against the other.  Once a PFA order is in place, any attempt to contact the  person who got the order, either calling them or talking to them in person can result in criminal charges for indirect criminal contempt, punishable with up to 6 months of incarceration for each violation.  Individuals can get in trouble for violating these no contact provisions even when it’s the victim who reaches out and initiates the contact in the first place!

If you’ve had a bad breakup that turned messy, and you now find yourself facing an eviction, criminal charges, and/or civil proceedings, you need an experienced criminal defense attorney. Don’t allow your emotions to cloud your thinking. You know that you need a qualified representative to fight the charges and help you navigate these tumultuous waters. Attorney Frank Walker can help. With years of experience helping both men and women accused of charges stemming from a bad breakup, Attorney Frank Walker can get the charges dismissed or reduced, fight PFA proceedings, and help you be in a good situation both financially and professionally moving forward. Give him a call today! Our lines are open 24/7 at 412-532-6805.

*** If you are a victim of Domestic Violence, please seek help immediately by contacting local authorities or the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 800-799-SAFE (7233). ***

Attorney Frank Walker of Frank Walker Law is a National Top 100 Criminal Defense Lawyer and Personal Injury Attorney with offices in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania and Morgantown West Virginia. Attorney Walker is also a member of the National College for DUI Defense and qualified as a Pennsylvania Death Penalty Defense Attorney.

If you or someone you love are facing criminal charges or seriously injured in an accident in WV or PA, contact Attorney Frank Walker immediately at 412-532-6805, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for aggressive and experienced Criminal Defense or Representation following a serious accident or injury.