Pittsburgh authorities allege that drug dealers are going to new and even more dangerous lengths in order to peddle their wares to unsuspecting users. A drug ring in the Pittsburgh area was allegedly selling extremely dangerous methamphetamines to local drug users by claiming it was the club/rave drug known as Ecstasy. Federal officials said last Friday that suburban locations such as the Mall at Robinson, selected for their inconspicuous nature, were used by members of the ring as meet-up locations for their buyers.
A 29-year-old North Fayette man was alleged to be the leader of the drug ring, and is accused of trying to generate an entirely new market in the drug trade by selling meth and claiming it was Ecstasy. According to Michael Christmas, FBI supervisory special agent, the drug ring was being investigated as the result of a 14-person indictment.
Ecstasy is commonly sold to college-age individuals for club and rave parties, and has an entirely different effect on the body and mind than methamphetamines do. The people who took the drug under the auspices that it was Ecstasy told police that they wondered why they remained wide awake for days, a characteristic that is one of the effects of meth. The drug that was being sold was tested as being 90% meth with the remaining 10% being Ecstasy. According to investigators, the indictment began in early 2013, and led to revelations that a group of people headquartered near the Pittsburgh airport was having meth shipped in from Cleveland, as well as heroin and marijuana shipped in from New York City.
The ring leader is likely to be charged with conspiracy to possess and distribute methamphetamines and heroin, as well as possession of a firearm in furtherance of drug trafficking.
Attorney Frank Walker of Frank Walker Law is a National Top 100 Criminal Defense Lawyer and Personal Injury Attorney with offices in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania and Morgantown West Virginia.
If you or someone you love are facing criminal charges or seriously injured in an accident, contact Attorney Frank Walker immediately at 412-315-7441, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for aggressive and experienced Criminal Defense or Representation in a Civil Case.